Extract, Load, Transform
What is ELT?
ELT (Extract, Load, and Transform) is a process data pipeline uses to replicate data from a source system into a target system. It uses cloud-based data warehousing solutions for all types of data like structured, unstructured, semi-structured, and even raw data types. It also works hand-in-hand with data lakes. Data lakes do not require transforming the data before loading it. However, data cleansing, enrichment, and transformation occur after loading the data into the data lake.
Here are some details to understand about ELT:
- ELT is a new technology made possible by high-speed, cloud-based servers and warehouses offering near-endless storage capabilities and scalable processing power.
- ELT paired with a data lake lets you ingest any raw data because of the availability.
- ELT transforms only that information required for a specific analysis.
- ELT is still evolving, so they‘re not as reliable as ETL paired with an OLAP database.
What are the benefits of ELT?
- ELT provides faster time to value due to the availability of data more quickly.
- ELT paired with cloud data warehouses are designed to auto-scale in the face of increasing processing loads.
- Allows quicker loading and cuts down the time it takes to load the data.
- Flexible enough to produce transformations on demand.