Extract, Transform, Load
What is ETL?
ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) is a process that extracts data from different source systems, then transforms the data by applying complex calculations, concatenations and finally loads the data into the data warehouse systems. This process requires inputs from various stakeholders like developers, analysts, testers, and top executives.
Why organizations need ETL?
The reasons for adopting ETL in organizations are as follows:
- It is a predefined process for accessing, manipulating, and moving the data from various sources into a data warehouse.
- Allow verification of data transformation, aggregation, and calculation rules.
- Perform complex transformations and requires the extra area to store the data.
- It helps companies to analyze their business data for making critical business decisions.
What are the benefits of ETL?
- It can help you turn data into business and actionable intelligence from large quantities of data and uncovers new growth opportunities.
- It is efficient and allows for quicker data analysis.
- It creates a single point-of-view and gives the historical context of the data.
- It automates the entire process that saves time and costs.
- It ensures data governance i.e., data usability, consistency, availability, integrity, and security.