What is machine translation?
Machine translation uses AI to automatically translate content from one language (the source) to another (the target) without any human input.
What are the different types of machine translation?
The different types of machine translation are:
- Rule-based machine translation (RBMT): The earliest form of MT, rule-based MT, has several severe disadvantages like requiring significant amounts of human post-editing, the requirement to add languages manually, and low quality in general. It has some uses in very basic situations where a quick understanding of meaning is required.
- Statistical machine translation (SMT): Statistical MT builds a statistical model of the relationships between words, phrases, and sentences in a text. It applies the model to a second language to convert those elements to the new language. It improves on rule-based MT but shares many of the same problems.
- Neural Machine Translation (NMT): Neural MT modeluses AI to learn languages and constantly improve that knowledge, much like the neural networks in the human brain. It is more accurate, easier to add languages, and faster once trained.
What are the benefits of machine translation?
- The ability to bring content to market faster
- Terminology consistency
- Greater productivity of translators
- Lower cost of translation
Top 10 AI Use Cases in Telecom