What is Natural Language Processing?
Natural Language Processing (NLP) is a branch of artificial intelligence that draws from several disciplines such as computer science and computational linguistics, to fill the gap between human communication and computer understanding. It enables the interaction between computers and humans using natural language.
Why is NLP important?
A massive amount of unstructured data is generated every day, from medical records to social media. There is a need for automation to analyze text and speech data efficiently. There is a need to structure highly unstructured data from various sources. So, NLP is important because it enables computers to communicate with humans in their language. This helps resolves ambiguity in language and adds meaningful text and numeric structure to the data for downstream applications, such as speech recognition or text analytics.
What are the benefits of Natural Language Processing?
- Perform large-scale text analysis on massive amounts of data in just seconds or minutes.
- It provides a more objective and accurate analysis of the textual data.
- It improves customer satisfaction by automatically analyzing, sorting customer service tickets by intent, sentiment, etc., and routes them directly to the employee or department.
- By automating tedious and repetitive tasks, it will empower employees to focus on higher-value tasks.
- It provides faster real, actionable data-driven insights from unstructured text.